The Land of Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

At long last--home!

+7
Terhon the BlackSilver
Mirzan
Rowanna
Naitachel
Soraya
Prince
Marcabru
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

At long last--home! - Page 2 Empty Re: At long last--home!

Post  Terhon the BlackSilver Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:35 am

After a preliminary sweep around, like a gust of icy wind flitting through the trees, himself but a large dark shadow that flowed with the eerieness of a specter, Terhon returned to the main yard of the Inn. He had found nothing of importance, at least in his opinion. No immediate threat. In fact, a rather mundane area... in his opinion. So, there he waited with their horses, wagons, carriages and baggage.

The Mara needed permission to enter. Anyone's offer would do to give him the okay to cross a threshold. That was part of why such a restriction existed--to keep mankind safe from his, if they so wished... though one human's foolish words could always allow him to slip through that defense. It was at times amusing how one could fool prey into making such a mistake.
Terhon the BlackSilver
Terhon the BlackSilver

Back to top Go down

Post  Shayori Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:40 am

Shayori followed the others in, even as the peg-legged man exited with Marcabru in tow. It seemed a pleasant enough place.

"Come in with me, Tehron," Shayori said softly, issuing the invitation she knew he would need should he choose to join her. She waited there, very near the door for the men she loved to join her.
Shayori
Shayori
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soraya Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:48 am

Soraya felt the wagon come to a stop. It seemed they were to disembark.

"But is it not still daylight?" she asked those inside the coach with her, alarmed. "We should likely at least cover you up, no?" With that, she began scrounging for heavy drapes and blankets that could be used as shields for the vampires when the doors opened, their only protection against the harsh, deadly sunlight.
Soraya
Soraya
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikki Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:30 am

Mikki chirped in Shayori's ear again, making her displeasure at the sudden dimness of being indoors. No, she didn't like human establishments at all. She peered out from behind Shay's hair, taking in the sights around her. The door wasn't that far behind them yet, and she could still make a dash for it, if she wanted to.

Except that Shayori now spoke a quiet invitation to the mara, and Mikki found herself bristling. The mara wasn't about to be nearby without the sprite herself available to step in, should she be needed.

"You could have left him outside," she chastised Shayori quietly, then, with a sigh, she resigned herself to being stuck in here for some time yet. She hoped they would have water available for her to bathe in. It had already been over a day since she'd taken her last soaking.
Mikki
Mikki

Back to top Go down

Post  Naitachel Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:06 am

Feeling the threads of anxiety coming from the barn area, the Seraph only glanced after those entering the Inn itself before gliding around the building to find the source of that unease and worry. Holding a handful of robes so he might move faster without worrying over tripping in the thick grass, Naitachel trotted to the stable doors and peered into the shadows curiously, a faint furrow of concern touching his fair and delicate features as he overheard Nopalo's idea. Staying back, he watched closely, wondering if and how he could possibly be of any aid to his friends in this endeavor.

<Might this be dark and safe enough?> he asked Radu, sending a glimpse of what he himself could see of the proposed environment concerning Nopalo's proposal. <The proprieter suggests this for you and the others to exit, at least.>

The balding fellow seemed pleasant and amiable, and eager to be of help. How he and Marcabru got along was a good sign, surely, and the cheerful and surprised joy the Seraph felt radiating from various members of the party in harmony with this stranger's presence suggested they had found good fortune at last. A friend of friends... A good fellow at heart, stout and strong in his ideals and steadfast in his friendships.

An idea struck him then that could add some measure of safety to this endeavor, and Naitachel dropped his pack at the door of the barn where he'd been standing. With a lithe leap and his lengthy robes and sleeves rippling in his wake, he bounded onto a nearby woodpile, then an overhang between buildings, and finally onto the roof of the barn, landing lightly as a small bird.

And there, the Seraph SANG his petition to the gods, his voice light yet ringing through the air, the overtones and undertones complimenting his hopeful tune like a supportive chorus. A beautiful song with a voice that could not be possibly human or earthly, as Naitachel could not make such a petition without placing the fullest effort and skill into his notes, his words were ancient yet possibly understandable to any creature of a long lifespan.

<Rain, please, if You may... For the security of dark clouds and cool shadows to see our friends safe and unharmed into this haven, please!> he sang. The risk of revealing his nature was nothing compared to what good this gift might do for his friends.

(OOC--Up to you, Ro, Noplao, if it works.)
Naitachel
Naitachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nopalo Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:57 pm

The rattle and jingle of harness, the restless movement of horses in their stalls, the chatter of the stablehands and the occasional braying comment from Jake concealed the sound of Naitachel's song from those in the barn, but everyone was aware of a change in the atmosphere, a lightening of spirit even as the sky grew darker. Nopalo looked out the door at the gathering clouds. "Now where in Tophet would that be comin' from, an' on th' clearest of days, as well? Best be hurryin', lad," he told Xandr. "There's somethin' happenin', an' I'd sooner everyone was under cover in th' house when it hits." With surprising agility for one so fat, he hopped up onto the seat beside the driver, calling to his stablehands: "Open th' back doors, lads! We'll be goin' straight through. An' then, all of ye be swift t' get th' place closed up good an' tight. There may be wind in that cloud. All right, now, me fine driver, let's be gettin' your precious cargo under cover."
Nopalo
Nopalo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:34 pm

Vlad tried hard not to laugh as poor Soraya worked herself into a frenzy on his behalf. "Trust in our people, dear one," he assured her as he lay back in his encapsulated bed and drew the heavy hood over himself. <So long as it is not full light without, we can simply drape the bed and we shall be safe and well tended enough.>

Radu nodded. <Provided we stay inside our resting units we should be secure enough,> he answered quietly. <The carriage is well darkened and our units are perfectly dark within; with only the coverings within the carriage laid upon him should we needs be carried forth.>

Xandr wasted no time in following the peg-legged man's instructions, order the other servants out of carriages to help with their own, as the innkeeper had so correctly dubbed it, "precious cargo". He took his duty to the Princes very seriously, and would never forgive himself should harm come to them and their companions.
Prince
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post  Soraya Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:03 pm

With Vlad's words of comfort, Soraya blushed in the darkness of the carriage. To make matters worse, the carriage began moving just as she opened her mouth to respond, tossing her heavily back onto her seat. The entire spectacle, she knew, was rather embarrassing, and if she had been able to, she would have excused herself to another room to compose herself. Unfortunately, that option was hardly available at the moment.

"Of course," she said quickly instead, hoping to recover, "I hardly meant to imply they were not doing their jobs. I simply wanted to help in any way I could."

She settled into her seat and placed her hands in her lap, waiting for this ride to end and for the doors to open so that they could, instead, focus on this new place that was, apparently, to become their home, even if only temporarily so.
Soraya
Soraya
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:34 am

"I know." Vlad smiled. "And I thank you. That you care enough to be concerned means a great deal to me."
Prince
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post  Terhon the BlackSilver Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:21 am

Terhon ghosted up to the door and joined Shayori, silently gliding into the Inn. Though he stuck by her side within the building rather than slipping into a dark corner as was his wont, the Mara had no intention of leaving Shayori at this time. His cowled head turned to glance at her--or, more pointedly, Mikki.

The Mara did not care for the water sprite that had taken up guarding his mistress. Not that water would ever harm him, but still, she was an annoyance, and he usually ate annoyances... but he couldn't eat something like her, as she was a species that would make him ill.

For now, all he gave her was the occassional dark glare. Of course, the Mara's glum and slightly bristly mood did not help make his chill aura any easier for others to withstand within the confines of the Inn.
Terhon the BlackSilver
Terhon the BlackSilver

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirzan Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:42 am

Mirzan began to make arrangements with Molly the maid, booking a room for himself and Rowanna, noting Marcabru would need his own, and that Sihlus might want a suite with Shayori and Terhon (and Mikki). Pausing, he rubbed at the stubble on his chin thoughtfully, before suggesting a couple rooms (if not maybe a third or fourth, too) for the vampires, and a single one for Soraya and Naitachel each. That covered the party.

Then they haggled over the prices.

When the pair finished, Mirzan pulled out a sack of coin and carefully counted out what was due for the moment, knowing the others could repay him for their own accomodations when they had a chance. It took a good chunk from his savings, however, enough that he eyed the bag a bit wryly before tucking it back in his belt-pouch.

Stepping back to Rowanna, he murmured,
"Well, I might see if there's work in the area over the course of the next week. With all that we left behind, I'm sure there's good call for household guards and bodyguards, maybe even a local lord recruiting... or town guards. Not as rough as running with Nip through a campaign, but something we can retire on easy enough, use to keep a nice little house or farm and have some money to spare if we need or want it. I don't want to go on another war campaign if I can help it--Nip's getting on in years..."

As was he. Mirzan's leg still ached from the last one when the weather went bad. In fact, it was starting to bother him now...

"If you want to stay here and get the key from Molly, I'm going to go start unpacking Nip," the mercenary added.

(OOC--You can alter the arrangements any time, Nopalo, as Molly's really yours--plus I can edit this however you like to fix it accordingly. Just kinda assuming they arranged something so everyone can start stabling their animals and bring their stuff in, settle in... So Molly may've given some discount, after seeing Nopalo recognize the bunch, but dunno how much you want paid there.)
Mirzan
Mirzan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rowanna Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:14 am

As discreetly as she could manage, Rowanna pressed her coin pouch into Mirzan's hand, nodding slightly. "Perhaps I could find work in the stables," she suggested quietly. "Or if Nopalo had something here I could do?"
Rowanna
Rowanna
Admin

https://thelandofdragons.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Nopalo Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:25 pm

As the carriage pulled through the barn and around to the portico, Nopalo wondered at the sudden buildup of rain clouds. So quickly they came, building layer upon layer, totally obscuring the sun, and with virtually no wind at all. Well, it seemed Mother Nature was inclined to help, so accept it without question. As they pulled up at the loading area, Nopalo climbed down from the seat and threw open the doors to the building. "You!" he called to Xandr, "If ye'll be havin' a couple o' your lads t' unsnap those rain curtains at th' ends o' the cover, it'll be blacker than th' inside o' yer hat in here. Lively now!" He darted inside the building, closing another door in the curious faces of the kitchen staff. "Nothin' here ye need be botherin' yerselves about; just be goin' about yer business," he chuckled.

At the left of the entryway was a wide, strong door opening into a windowless storage area. Nopalo struck a light and lit a pair of lamps hanging on the walls. "Not a great deal o' light, but we can get more if they're needin' it." Another large door on the right led to another empty room. With a nod of satisfaction, the rotund innkeeper stumped back to the carriage. "Will this be satisfactory, then?" he asked Xandr. "It's the best I could come up with on th' spur o' th' moment. I've a more satisfactory arrangement in me mind, but I'd be discussin' that with th' Count, or th' Baron, or whatever yer leader calls himself."
Nopalo
Nopalo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:54 am

Xandr hurried to do as Nopalo said, trusting in the innkeeper, as their travelling companions clearly did.

"it will do well enough, thank you sir," Xandr agreed. At the titles, he actually laughed. "Prince, sir, though he is most often called Radu. He is not over fond of titles after all this time. He and his kin will be most grateful for your hospitality." Sobering, he added, "We all are, sir."

The moment it was dark enough, the family began exiting the carriages, assisted by their entourage, nodding gratefully to the innkeeper as they emerged.
Prince
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post  Nopalo Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:09 am

As the family began emerging from the carriage, Nopalo noticed Marcabru slipping in around the storm flaps, drenched to the skin. "Ah, there ye be," he chuckled. "An' here I was thinkin' ye had sense enough to come in out o' the rain. Come, now, an' introduce me to yer friends." He turned back to the carriage, his welcoming smile slipping the least bit as he realized how many there were. He blinked in surprise when a comely redhead stepped to the ground on the arm of a tall pale man, but as he'd said before, he'd seen stranger things. In an aside to Marcabru, he asked, "Which one should I be speakin' to about livin' quarters an' arrangements?" (OOC - Just how many are there, by the way?)
Nopalo
Nopalo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soraya Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:14 am

Soraya was grateful and more than a little curious about their new surroundings, about this place that was, by all accounts become their home. At least for the moment.

"Good day," she said to the one-legged man standing there, unsure of exactly what time of day it actually was. She appraised him quickly, noting his ease of movement despite the missing limb, and his kindly countenance. She liked him immediately, and favored him with a dazzling smile. "Might I inquire as to where exactly we are?"

Last edited by Soraya on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Soraya
Soraya
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:22 am

(OOC - seven vampires, about 15 servants, Naitachel and Soraya.)

Vlad emerged next to her, smiling as well. "Thank you, sir," he said to Nopalo. "I fear few would welcome a group such as ours."
Prince
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post  Naitachel Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:37 am

Naitachel had bounded down once his song had drawn results, and laughed softly as the first raindrops pattered down, spreading his hands to catch them. It was not always that his petitions were answered. After all, he was made to serve, not submit requests. But as the rain began to increase, the Seraph's white robes began to soak through, and he hurriedly followed Marcabru in ducking through the storm flaps, smiling brightly and eager to check on if his friends were all right.

He stayed well back by the storm flaps themselves to remain out of the way and hopefully not draw much attention, shaking water from his long white-gold hair and wiping it back from his face. At least his robes hadn't soaked all the way through yet, so he was, for the most part, dry beneath. Still, Naitachel was glad to be out of the very weather he had requested.

"I apologize for the rain, but at least it is now safely dark without," he offered quietly, a musical lilt to his soft words.
Naitachel
Naitachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nopalo Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:44 am

Vlad emerged next to her, smiling as well. "Thank you, sir," he said to Nopalo. "I fear few would welcome a group such as ours."
"Aye, well, considerin' the company ye be keepin', I could hardly be treatin' ye any other way, now, could I?" the portly innkeeper replied with a hearty chuckle. "Ye've been tarred with th' same brush, ye might say. If ye'd step this way, sir an' madam, I'll be showin' ye to yer temporary quarters." He led them into the cool room, passing a number of crates of vegetables and fruit, apparently the last of a shipment about to be used, and turning toward the second door. "I'm afraid 'tis not th' royal suite, but it'll be givin' ye room t' move around for the next eight hours or so. But I'm forgettin' my manners. 'Tis Nopalo I am, once a lumberman, then a chef, an' now by th' favor of Lady Luck an' th' chance turn of a card, th' owner of this establishment. Welcome to ye all."
Soraya wrote:She liked him immediately, and favored him with a dazzling smile. "Might I inquire as to where exactly we are?"]
"Aye, Ma'am, ye're at Nopalo's Place, betwixt th' shore o' beautiful Lake Fermi an' the banks o' the river Egral. 'Tis a week's wagon ride t' the city Egralnar -- two days a'horseback, if ye be pushin' th' horse a bit."

Last edited by Nopalo on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nopalo
Nopalo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirzan Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:04 am

Meanwhile, Mirzan had made several trips carrying items in from Nip's back. The sudden coming of rain concerned him, as the animals had been surprised as well. On the other hand, it would erase any remains to their trail here from their long journey. Still, as Nip had carried much of the load for their party, due to his endurance and size, the mercenary had a great deal to unload and haul inside, even with the aid of several stablehands.

By the time they were done, they were drenched, but all the gear was inside, all teh horses stabled, and Nip grumbling as he was picketed in afield, though he wasn't that unhappy with so much grass to munch at his feet...

Breathing a sigh of relief, the mercenary flopped into a chair and put his feet up by the fire on a stool. Rowanna's money he had tucked into his belt with his own, and he flashed her a smile as he rested, despite his sodden hair flopping into his eyes.

"There... Now we've arrived."
Mirzan
Mirzan

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:34 pm

Radu stood and stretched his 6'7" frame, working out the kinks of travel and gazing around their new surroundings before helping gather Mircea from the carriage as the others gathered around him, seemingly reluctant to move too far from him. "Thank you, sir," he said to Nopalo.

"I am called Vlad, and this is my dear companion Soraya," Vlad said simply, seeing no reason for titles and such here as he watched his uncles disembark. "The rest are my family by blood or fate. My uncles Radu," he indicated the one who'd spoken, then each of the rest in turn, "and Mircea. My brothers Minhea and Matthias. My sisters Vassilisa and Cneajna. And the rest of our own. Naitachel, who is dear to my uncle. Our man, Xandr, whom you've met. Georgiana, who takes care of all we foolishly overlook." At his introduction, the elderly woman waved him off.

"Well be at this all night if you're to introduce all of us this way," she shushed him. "Let us see you settled and I'll make sure he meets the rest as we find ways to be useful." She turned then to Nopalo. "Once I've seen the Prince and his kin settled in," she ignored Radu and Vlad's exasperated expressions at having titles thrown about at this point and continued, "perchance you can put us to helping. It wouldn't do to be getting too used to lounging."
Prince
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post  Nopalo Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:22 pm

Nopalo grinned as he wiped his broad forehead. "Lounging, ye say, ma'am? I daresay ye'll not be doin' much o' that, considerin' the company ye keep. Unless there's been a great change in that group o' rousters ye arrived with, ye'll be busy enough within th' week. Excitement o' one kind or another seems t' follow them around, it does." He turned to Radu. "Now, then, Prince... Radu, was it? I'd be apologizin' for th' lack o' proper amenities here, m'Lord, but th' safety an' security o' yer party was first on my mind. Come nightfall, we'll have ye in more suitable quarters. Th' Master Suite, t' be exact. I think ye'll be pleased with it for a couple o' reasons, which I'd like t' be discussin' with ye when ye have th' time, sir."(OOC - Note editing of Nopalo's previous post.

Nopalo
Nopalo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcabru Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:59 pm

Naitachel wrote: "I apologize for the rain, but at least it is now safely dark without," he offered quietly, a musical lilt to his soft words.
The troubadour started at his words, then smiled ruefully. "So you bear responsibility for this sudden downpour? 'Struth, 'twas well done, my friend, although were I asked, I should be forced to charge that your timing was a wee bit fast. Another three seconds would have allowed me to enter this haven at least moderately dry. Nevertheless, it was welcome. Is this another of your abilities of which we are unacquainted -- this calling the rain?"
Marcabru
Marcabru
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sihlus Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:11 pm

Terhon ghosted up to the door and joined Shayori, silently gliding into the Inn. Though he stuck by her side within the building rather than slipping into a dark corner as was his wont, the Mara had no intention of leaving Shayori at this time. His cowled head turned to glance at her--or, more pointedly, Mikki.
Sihlus gave Mirzan a hand with the baggage, staying carefully away from Nip's strong jaws, and then joined Shayori and Terhon. < It would seem we've picked up a chaperon, > he bespoke the Mara. < I wonder how she'll react to a cat. >
Sihlus
Sihlus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soraya Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:56 pm

Soraya barely had time to process the explanation Nopalo had given them regarding their location, or the sudden change in weather, for that matter, before the conversation moved ahead to introductions and banter regarding duties. The whole thing made her redden slightly; what exactly was she to be? She could hardly simply sit back and be waited upon by the vampires' staff as though she were some great lady of leisure, and yet she still had little idea of what skills she had to offer that could be considered useful.

Nopalo wrote:"Now, then, Prince... Radu, was it? I'd be apologizin' for th' lack o' proper amenities here, m'Lord, but th' safety an' security o' yer party was first on my mind. Come nightfall, we'll have ye in more suitable quarters. Th' Master Suite, t' be exact. I think ye'll be pleased with it for a couple o' reasons, which I'd like t' be discussin' with ye when ye have th' time, sir."

"Pleasure to meet you," Soraya managed cordially. She glanced quickly behind her and at Marcabru and Naitachel, who appeared to be in conversation themselves. "If you please, Master Nopalo, are there arrangements for me, as well?" she asked, somewhat perplexed at the assumption that they should all remain in one suite together and blushing even more brightly. Much as she enjoyed Vlad's company and had grown even fonder of him during these difficult days, they were certainly not yet in a place where they could share a room, were they? "Though, I admittedly fear that I have no money to compensate you for a room right at this moment. I may have to inquire about work with you as well, Master Nopalo."

Last edited by Soraya on Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:14 am; edited 3 times in total
Soraya
Soraya
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next